A well-known risk factor that can easily damage your smile exists in the form of dental erosion. Dental erosion is a common issue that plagues many individuals by slowly wearing down the tooth enamel on your teeth. If your tooth enamel is extremely worn, a hole, known as a cavity, can form in the tooth enamel. To help prevent cavities, effective dental erosion prevention plans must be put into place. For a list of common prevention options, look below:
– Dental erosion, also known as enamel erosion, can arise due to risk factors associated with dry mouth and a lack of saliva.
– Excessive consumption of sugary or starchy products can increase your risk of dental erosion due to the fact these products can be converted into harmful acids in your mouth.
– Genetic predispositions and environmental factors can increase your risk for dental erosion.
– Acid reflux disease is a known cause of dental erosion.
– You can help keep your smile free of acids and bacteria responsible for dental erosion by practicing effective oral hygiene routines such as brushing and flossing daily.
– To help limit the effects of dental erosion, always use effective cleaning tools such as brushing with soft bristles.
– A healthy diet that includes enamel-building minerals and low amounts of unhealthy substances can lower your risk for dental erosion.
Visit our office today for a dental erosion prevention treatment. We can be reached by scheduling an appointment with Dr. Stephen Woodard and our team at our dentist office in Spokane Valley, Washington, by calling us at 509-924-8585.